NATIONAL LIBRARY OF ESTONIA CENTENNIAL CONFERENCE
IMAGINE A NATIONAL LIBRARY
25-26 October 2018
Main Conference Hall, National Library of Estonia
Presentations and list of participants available at https://www.nlib.ee/et/content/juubelikonverents
Thursday, 25 October
09:30 - 10:00 Registration and morning coffee
10:00 - 10:15 Opening of the Conference
Welcome by Eiki Nestor, President of the Riigikogu (Parliament)
Welcome by IFLA President Glòria Pérez-Salmerón
10:15 - 12:00 FIRST SESSION: CHANGING WORLD AROUND US
- The world is experiencing fundamental demographic, environmental, technological, social, cultural, economic and political changes that will define the environment where libraries are operating. The session focuses on how not only to survive the wave of changes, but how to embrace and benefit from these changes.
10:15 - 10:45 Professor Riaan J Rudman, Stellenbosch University
- Keywords: The evolution of libraries, expectations of users, and what should a modern library do to meet those expectations.
10:45 - 11:10 Dr. Janis Kreslins, the Royal Library (Sweden)
- Keywords: Prospects of national libraries and the importance of cultural heritage for a small country.
11:10 - 11:30 Patrice Landry, Qatar National Library
- Keywords: Global demographic, technological, social, cultural, economic and political trends that impact libraries as we know it.
11:30 - 12:00 Sum-up panel discussion with speakers. Moderated by Ragnar Siil
12:00 - 13:15 Networking lunch
13:15 - 14:45 SECOND SESSION: VISION FOR NATIONAL LIBRARIES
- As the first session focuses on big changes, the second session looks at how can national libraries position themselves in the future. What role will national libraries carry in the 21st century? What are the society’s expectations for high-quality library service in the years to come?
13:15 - 13:35 Roly Keating, Chief Excecutive, the British Library
- Keywords: Long-term vision for British Library, how can the library develop as an organisation to increase access to the world’s knowledge base for its users.
13:35 - 13:55 Janne Andresoo, Director General, National Library of Estonia
- Keywords: How is the National Library of Estonia re-imagining a national library? What is the position of National Library in e-Estonia and its digital governance?
13:55 - 14:15 Dr. Guy Berthiaume, Librarian and Archivist of Canada, Library and Archives Canada
- Keywords: The future functions of national libraries.
14:15 - 14:45 Sum-up panel discussion with speakers. Moderated by Raivo Ruusalepp
14:45 - 15:15 Refreshing coffee-break
15:15 - 15:35 Reigo Ahven. Wake-up interlude
15:35 - 16:15 Technology talk: Technology meets Information meets Libraries. eEstonia and its e-services, e-library and its e-services
Kaja Kallas, Member of the European Parliament
Siim Sikkut, Government Chief Information Officer (CIO) / Deputy Secretary-General for IT and Telecom, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
Veiko Berendsen, Data Governance Expert, Statistics Estonia
16:15 - 16:40 Debating the future of libraries in the post-truth digital era. SpeakSmart
16:40 - 17:00 Sum-up of the day, reflections from the audience. Moderated by Ragnar Siil.
17:15 - 18:15 Guided tour of the National Library (optional)
19:30 - 21.30 Evening Reception in the Great Guild Hall of the Estonian History Museum (address: 17, Pikk Street)
Friday, 26 October
09:00 - 09:30 Morning coffee with friendly chat
09:30 - 11:10 THIRD SESSION: DESIGNING NATIONAL LIBRARIES FOR THE FUTURE
- This session focuses mainly on the question “how”. How to design relevant services that engage audiences and users? How to design physical and virtual spaces that create engaging environments? How to stay relevant?
9:30 - 10:00 Dr. E.J.B. (Lily) Knibbeler, Director, National Library of the Netherlands; Hans Jansen, Strategy Advisor, National Library of the Netherlands
- Keywords: How has the digital world changed libraries? What must a national library take into account when designing a new building from scratch? Case of the National Library of the Netherlands.
10:00 - 10:20 Dr. Hans Petschar, Director of Picture Archives, Austrian National Library
- Reflections on CENL survey on national library spaces and the use of digital content within (CENL-Conference of European National Librarians)
10:20 - 11:20 Directors Roundtable on Good and Bad Practices
- Andris Vilks, Director, National Library of Latvia
- Prof. Renaldas Gudauskas, Director General, National Library of Lithuania
- Katri Vänttinen, Library Director, City of Helsinki
- Janne Andresoo, Director General, National Library of Estonia
Moderated by Ragnar Siil and Raivo Ruusalepp.
11:20 - 12:10 Concluding session: National library 200. Future vision for national libraries.
Professor Marek Tamm, Tallinn University
Raul Rebane, Media Consultant
12:10 - 12:45 Summing-up. Reflections and final remarks with the audience. Moderated by Ragnar Siil, Raivo Ruusalepp
12:45 - 14:00 Farewell lunch
14:00 Depart the Library by bus for cultural programme - a guided tour of the Estonian History Museum area at Maarjamäe (from 14.30 to 16.30)
For audience engagement, the conference will use Mentimeter (www.mentimeter.com).
Graphic recording of the conference will be provided by Siiri Taimla from Joonmeedia.
The organisers reserve the right to make changes to the programme.